Elizabeta has long, dark brown hair and green eyes. She is also noted by her fans to be having a nice body with a decent height. Her most common outfit, seen in merchandise and official artwork, is a green military uniform and matching beret. In the actual series, she can usually be seen dressed in a traditional Hungarian folk dress, which resembles a traditional maid dress.
The flower she wears in her hair, according to notes by Himaruya, is meant to represent Lake Balaton.
Origin of Name
Her name is given by Himaruya as the result of a question asked by a fan, "What if the characters are calling by their respective name instead of their country names?". Though been officially given a name, it is not used in the manga itself.
Her first name (romanized "Erizabeeta"), due to not being written in romaji officially, is often a subject of debate as to how it should be spelled. While Elizabeta is the most accurate spelling of her name according to the characters, some fan sources use Elizaveta, as well as Elisabeth and Elizabeth (although the actual Hungarian equivalent of Elizabeth would be Erzsébet). Using the spelling of Elisabeth could be an allusion to Empress Elisabeth of Bavaria, who was the Empress of Austria and Queen of Hungary. She was married to Austrian Emperor Franz Josef, who is mentioned in the anime briefly.
An elderly sister type character who is potrayed to be a reliable character, and can be very scary when provoked. She is described by Seychelles to be a "Blondie Hair girl with a loli face and large breasts" and "extremely pretty". In her past, Hungary was once a nomadic girl who loved to chase after horses on the plains. Though she has a very feminine outlook, her personality is that of a tomboy, to the point where she believed herself to be a boy until hitting puberty.
She also appears to be a fujoshi (literal: "rotten woman," a woman who is a yaoi fan). The origin of her characteristics seems to stem from one of the readers who sent information about "Gay Video Center", which the author later applied the personality of "Fujoshis who love cute guys" into Elizabeta, forming her fujoshi personality. Though fans depicted various scenes or situations where she colloborated with Japan in some sort of activity, it was never made official by the original author. Until now there are no signs of them appearing in official illustrations.
She doesn't get along well with Romania, to the point where their relationship is described as being like that of a cat and a dog. It is also said that due to her dislike of Romanians, she would name her dogs after them.
Mongolia is said to have bullied Hungary in her youth, along with the Ottoman Empire (Turkey) and Russia. For that reason, she hates them as well.
Hungary's former husband, and close friend, yet the status of their relationship is unknown. Throughout the anime and manga, the two share many moments that suggest that they still have feelings for one another. As children, Austria was often beaten up and defeated by Hungary when it came to wars, but when they got older, she became his servant while they were both under the rule of the Holy Roman Empire.
As Hungary never got treated well by other countries, she holds a little jealousy towards Austria.
When they were both under Austria's rule, she and Italy were very close and she saw herself as his older sister figure. Apparently, she was one of the few characters who knew his true gender at that time.
She and Prussia were rivals as children. Prussia and Hungary herself both believed Hungary to be male until Hungary revealed that she had no penis, thinking it would grow in later. She continued to believe she was male some time until she reached puberty; it was through a meeting with Prussia that she came to accept herself as female. Shortly after this event she suddenly calmed down, began to wear dresses and hung around Austria, much to Prussia's disliking. Since he made fun of her problems during their younger years, Hungary is seen to now dislike him and often hits him with her frying pan whenever she sees the opportunity to, claming it to be confession from the God.
- An older archived notes by Hidekaz Himaruya (circa 2007), it is mentioned that he originally considered making a male Hungary character, who was supposed to be a crossdresser. In the end, he decided to make Hungary the first female character of the series while Poland (who was originally planned to be female) became a cross-dressing male instead. The male version of Hungary was later used as the basis for Lithuania's design.
- Himaruya also initially thought of making a female Hungary who was more snide and "witchy," describing her as hot-tempered to the point where she would shoot people with arrows if they thought she was a guy.
- In later notes that were compiled in the special booklet for Hetalia: Axis Powers volume 3, Himaruya revealed that a Hungary character actually was the first nation in the design department, as the witchy woman idea was recycled from a Hungarian witch character in a scrapped "hero in New York" series that would be replaced by the idea of Hetalia.
- A blog entry by Himaruya revealed that Hungary has an ancestor, known only as Magyar, but he has not been mentioned or visually depicted in the actual series. In the screenplay for Gakuen Hetalia, her ancestor is referred to as Hun.
- Though her birthday has not been revealed yet, her "Wedding Day" corresponds with the date of the Austro-Hungarian Compromise.
- In the official English translation from Tokyopop and in the official subtitles from FUNimation, her catch phrase "Give back the vital regions" was changed to "Give me back my happy place!"
Hungary when she was young.
Little Demon Eliza
Fuzzy Husband and Wife
Fuzzy Mother and Daughter
Red One Point Group
Friendship Memorial Day
Flower Girl Group
Maid Girl Combp
Ribbon and Flower Combo
Mafia and Bouquet
Sunshine and Flower
Red Bean Flower
Three Person and Above
Axis All Stars
Bad Friends and Flower
Orient and Occident With Flower
Rotten 3 Families