A youkai tanuki of proper upbringing.
An unusual youkai that lived outside of Gensokyo.
She's made her way inside this time to help out an old friend in a pinch.
Tanuki take great pleasure in watching the reactions of humans that they trick, so they seldom take direct damage. They are more powerful on the night of a full moon.
Their ability to shapeshift makes them similar to the nue. Neither of them seem to be terribly effective youkai when it comes to close combat.
Can this kind of youkai really hold her own against Miko? After all, youkai are fairly self-centered and don't take or give orders easily, so no matter how many would stand up to her alone, they'd still lose in the end.
It seems she'd lived together with humans in her home town (Sado). Sometimes she'd trick them, but she'd also lend money to the poor and worked diligently on any task she was given, so she integrated well into human society.
She doesn't get along with foxes, though, and there's a rumor that no foxes live in Sado.
She would end up causing trouble with the foxes of Gensokyo, but that's a story for another day.
(From Settings and Extra Story.txt of Ten Desires, by ZUN)
Futatsuiwa (二ッ岩) may mean "two stones", perhaps a reference to the tanuki's inflatable testicles, but also a location in Sado where tanuki were prevalent. "Mami" may have reference to mami (魔魅), means "deceiving spirit" or mami (猯), means "badger" or "racoon dog".
Her origin is said to be based on Danzaburou Danuki of Sado Island, one of the most famous tanuki in Japanese folklore, along with Hage Danuki of Yashima and Shibaemon Tanuki of Awaji Island. He was the boss of tanuki on Sado, who drove off the foxes from the island. In another, Danzaburo was a money lender, who freely loaned money to the people. He was also said to be responsible for mirages at Futatsu-iwa, a rock formation in Aikawa, Sado. It is considered to be one of the Earthly Gods of Sado as well.
She has a short semi-curly brown hair, and wears specs. True to the Tanuki character, she has Tanuki ears and a raccoon tail on her back, and a small leaf on top of her head. She also wears a green shirt with a brown short skirt with wave patterns, white pants within the skirt, and slippers. As with most Tanuki from Japanese myths, Mamizou carries a bottle of sake and a booklet of promissory notes.
- Aside from Rikako, she is the second Touhou female character and the first Windows series Touhou character to wear glasses.
- She was probably partly inspired by Studio Ghibli's film "Pom Poko", which features similar tanuki leaders summoned from Shikoku to aid youkai from an overwhelming human threat.
- Because of her name, many fans depicted her in many situations that were similar to those experienced by Mami Tomoe from Puella Magi Madoka Magica due to its popularity.
- Some fans depict her as Mamio, referencing Mario, who could wear a Tanooki suit in Super Mario Bros. 3.
- Since her profile says she dislikes foxes and may cause trouble with the foxes of Gensokyo, fans depict her as having an antagonistic relationship with the kitsune Ran Yakumo.
- While Tanuki usually have large testicles, since she is a female, many fanarts of her with large breasts exists in pixiv, and is depicted by fans to have large breasts to compensate for that.
Futatsuiwa from Sado (佐渡のニッ岩)
Ability to disguise herself and objects by shape-shifting
Though her power is said to disguise and transform objects by shape-shifting, she herself cannot transform.
Hence, to disguise herself, she needed objects to turn herself into something else, and that is the purpose of the leaf on top of her head, with that, she can disguise herself by turning the leaf on top of her head into something else, the best example to that would be
where she disguised herself into Reimu (in the game, a stupid miko).
First Duel "Primate Danmaku Transformation" (壱番勝負「霊長化弾幕変化」)
Second Duel "Carnivorous Danmaku Transformation" (弐番勝負「肉食化弾幕変化」)
Third Duel "Avian Danmaku Transformation" (参番勝負「延羽化弾幕変化」)
Fourth Duel "Amphibian Danmaku Transformation" (四番勝負「両性化弾幕変化」)
Fifth Duel "Scrolls of Frolicking Animals" (伍番勝負「鳥獣戯画」)
Sixth Duel "Tanuki's Monstrous School" (六番勝負「狸の化け学校」)
Seventh Duel "Wild Deserted Island" (七番勝負「野生の離島」) >>OVERDRIVE
Transformation "Pseudo-Exorcism of the Stupid Shrine Maiden" (変化「まぬけ巫女の偽調伏」)
"Mamizou Danmaku in Ten Transformations" (「マミゾウ化十変化」)
Racoon Sign "Full Moon Pompokolin" (狢符「満月のポンポコリン」)
Wild Carpet (ワイルドカーペット)